1. Sod has an immediate visual impact which you are able to see immediately after laying it on your lawn. Grass seed can take a long time to grow.
2. Sod is able to cover 100% of your lawn. When growing grass, you are usually faced with some spotty areas where the grass did not grow.
3. Sod does have a higher up-front cost than grass seed alone, but when you add in the additional costs for grass seed such as fertilizers, chemical treatments, and watering.
4. You can install sod year-round, even when the ground is frozen. Grass seed is best planted in late fall and possibly spring.
5. Sod has the highest seed quality available, ensuring you get what you pay for. Grass seeds can be variable due to germination rates, weed and foreign matter, and unknown or unspecified varieties.
6. Sod only requires initial watering and then light watering for a shorter amount of time. Grass seed requires more watering.
7. Sod requires minimal if any chemical control for weeds. Grass seed required multiple treatment for weeds.
8. Sod can handle heavy rains and runoff, grass seed cannot.
9. Sod can handle light foot traffic immediately and heavy traffic within 2-3 weeks. You need to wait 2-4 months to have light traffic with grass seed and up to a year before any heavy traffic.
10. Immediately increases the market value of your property by 5% to 10%.
Southern Sodgrass and Landscape Supply can help you get the “greenest” lawn in your neighborhood. We serve most of central North Carolina, contact us today for more information about our sod products and to schedule a delivery day and time. You can reach us at (336) 996-4SOD that’s (336) 996-4763.